STEM Year 7
In this unit students conduct a research investigation on energy consumption and efficiency in the school context. The investigation follows scientific methods and skills with mathematical analysis methods using digital technologies to evaluate inputs and outputs in an integrated STEM approach. Students determine the energy efficiency rating of the school then seek ways to improve this rating using research methods including data collection from online data as well as surveys.
- Purpose – Your mission
- Research Question – Identifying possible impacts and effects
- Background Observations – A preliminary look at data
- Research prediction – A cause-effect statement
- Research design – Fair test
- Collecting and collating data – Outcomes
- Collecting and collating data – Impacts
- Analysing Background Data -Trends
- Energy consumption factors – Light use
- Energy savings – Revisiting prediction – Mathematics or survey options
- Conclusions – Results, Confidence, Studies and Actions
- Communication – Presentation to target audience
- Efficient use of energy in a school is dependent on patterns of use
- Informed decision making is based on evidence
STEM Research Investigation Teacher Guide
This research investigation seeks to set a framework for investigating energy consumption and generation in the school context.
Download the Teacher Guide as a complete year level or as seperate pages within each lesson.
Lessons you can bring straight to the classroom
Equipped with a topic overview, learning outcomes, resource list and supporting activities.
Everything you see has been aligned to the Australian Curriculum
Take a look below to see the learning outcomes for each subject area.