The water and nitrogen cycles
Throughout this lesson series students will be introduced to the water, carbon and nitrogen cycles. Students will explain these cycles in written form and diagrammatically. Students will require ready access to ICT at a whole-class level.
ACSHE191 ACSHE194 ACSHE230 ACSIS203 ACSIS204 ACSIS205 ACSIS208 ACSSU189
- Model the water cycle and nitrogen cycle using diagrams.
- Explain the interconnection between the biosphere, lithosphere, hydrosphere and atmosphere by using the water cycle and the nitrogen cycle as models and examples.
Evidence of Learning
Can the student:
- Draw the water cycle and nitrogen cycle.
- Explain the different states of water present during each phase of the water cycle.
- Explain the different nitrogen products present within the nitrogen cycle.
Example Learning Sequence
- Review the different phases of water.
- Discuss and explain the water cycle, illustrating this diagrammatically and in written text.
- Review the naming and chemical formulas for relevant nitrogen products of the nitrogen cycle.
- Discuss and explain the nitrogen cycle, illustrating this diagrammatically and in written text.