Lesson 3 & 4
Exploring Models for Energy Transfer and Transformations
Throughout this lesson series, students will be introduced to the law of conservation of energy. Using the example of a Rube Goldberg machine, students explore how usable energy is reduced during energy transfer and transformation such that the system is not 100 % efficient. Students will require ready access to ICT at a whole-class, small-group and individual level as well as materials to construct their Rube Goldberg machine.
ACSHE194 ACSHE230 ACSIS198 ACSIS200 ACSIS203 ACSIS204 ACSIS205 ACSIS206 ACSIS208 ACSSU190
- Investigate and compare energy changes in examples such as car crashes, pendulums, lifting and dropping of objects.
Evidence of Learning
Can the student:
- Model energy interactions using simple experiments
- Explain energy transfer and transformations in these experiments using written language and diagrams.
Example Learning Sequence
- Investigation of simple experiments to model energy transfer and transformations
- Construct a Rube Goldberg machine
- Identify all the energy transfers and transformations that occur to achieve the task as well as the losses of efficiency.