Lesson 5 & 6
Exploring energy transfer and transformations
Throughout this lesson series, students will be introduced to the law of conservation of energy. Using the example of solar cells, students explore how usable energy is reduced during energy transfer and transformation such that the system is not 100 % efficient.
ACSIS205 ACSIS208 ACSSU190 ACSIS198 ACSHE194 ACSIS200 ACSHE230 ACSIS206 ACSIS203 ACSIS204
- Recognise that in energy transfer and transformation, a variety of processes can occur, so that the usable energy is reduced and the system is not 100% efficient.
- Describe how a solar cell works to produce electricity and explain why solar cells are not 100% efficient.
Evidence of Learning
Can the student:
- Explain how a solar cell operates and why they are not 100 % efficient.
Example Learning Sequence
- Discuss how a solar cell works to generate electricity.
- Investigate factors that impact on the cell’s efficiency.
To access these resources, Become a Solar School.