Water all around
Throughout this lesson series, students will be introduced to Earth’s different resources and how they are used by humans, animals and plants. Students will closely investigate water and understand that water is essential to all life on Earth. Students will investigate how water is used by plants and animals including humans and will create a poster demonstrating why "Water is precious".
ACSHE034 ACSHE035 ACSIS042 ACSSU032 ACMSP048 ACTDEK001
- Discuss and list Earth’s different resources including water.
- Identify water as a resource that is essential to all life on Earth.
- Consider what would happen if there was no more water on Earth.
Evidence of Learning
Can the student:
- Identify Earth's resources.
- Identify that water is essential to life.
- Explain what would happen if there was no more water.
Example Learning Sequence
- Describe how the Earth's rotation cause day and night to occur on Earth.
- Demonstrate to students this movement of the Earth using a video or spin a basketball.
- Give students balls of playdough and ask them to draw a person onto one side. Use a torch to represent the sun and ask students to turn their playdough to show their person in day and night.
- Explain what the differences are between day and night.
- Ask students to think about how day time and night time would affect how animals meet their survival needs. Brainstorm challenges and advantages to being active at different times of the day.
To access these resources, Become a Solar School.