Lesson 11 - 12
Making a difference - Solar cooker (extension)
Throughout this lesson series students will investigate how solid objects and liquids can be heated up using the energy from the Sun. Students will conduct an experiment to test their hypotheses about how colour will affect the amount of heat absorbed by a solid object. Students will also plan, conduct and evaluate an investigation to change the temperature of a liquid using solar energy. Students will communicate their understanding in a written report using graphs and diagrams to support their report.
ACSHE061 ACSHE062 ACSIS064 ACSIS065 ACSIS066 ACSIS068 ACSIS069 ACSIS071 ACSIS216 ACSSU046 ACSSU048 ACSSU049
- Investigate absorption of solar energy by constructing a solar cooker.
Evidence of Learning
Can the student:
- Create a solar cooker from the given materials and explain how solar energy was absorbed and turned into heat energy.
Example Learning Sequence
- Make a solar cooker and write a report including a question, prediction, method and analysis.
- Present the results of the investigation in a written report.
- Share the report with the class.
To access these resources, Become a Solar School.