Lesson 5 - 6
Throughout this lesson series, students will be investigating how the Sun provides the Earth with heat and light. Students will look at how the Sun affects the Earth and how conduct experiments to examine this. Students will be introduced to the term sustainable and will explore how solar energy is sustainable. Students will examine what solar panels are and how they are used to convert solar energy into electrical energy.
ACSHE061 ACSHE062 ACSIS064 ACSIS065 ACSIS066 ACSIS068 ACSIS069 ACSIS071 ACSIS216 ACSSU046 ACSSU048 ACSSU049
- Explore what sustainable energy is and how the sun is sustainable.
- Discuss different ways that electricity can be produced e.g. burning fossil fuels, wind, water. Explore which types are sustainable.
- Explain what solar panels are and how they help people use the energy from the sun for light and heat.
- Explore the data provided by the Solar Schools website to see which seasons produce the most electricity.
Evidence of Learning
Can the student:
- Explain what sustainable means.
- List different ways electricity can be produced and which ways are sustainable.
- Explain what solar panels are and how they can be used.
- Examine Solar Schools data to look for trends.
Example Learning Sequence
- Introduce the term sustainable.
- Look at sustainable and non-sustainable forms of electricity production.
- Explain what solar panels are, how they work and what they are used for.
- Compare the amount of daylight hours in different seasons with the electricity that is generated.
To access these resources, Become a Solar School.