Solar panel construction - Selecting materials
Throughout this lesson series, students will investigate materials that are used to make a solar panel. They will identify properties of the materials used and relate those materials to their purpose in the construction of the panel. Students will use their understanding of materials for purpose to examine some everyday materials for their potential use in constructing a solar panel.
ACSHE061 ACSHE062 ACSIS064 ACSIS068 ACSIS216 ACSSU074 ACTDEK013
- Relate properties of everyday materials to the needs of components of a solar panel.
- Identify potential materials that could be used as components of a solar panel.
- Justify their decisions with scientific reasoning to others.
Evidence of Learning
Can the student:
- List potential materials that can fulfil a purpose.
- Make justifiable decisions based on evidence.
Example Learning Sequence
- Identify potential materials for solar panel construction.
- Complete data table to identify properties of materials to suit purpose.
- Make a selection of materials and justify choices made.
- Prepare a presentation of findings.
To access these resources, Become a Solar School.