Lesson 7 - 8
Collecting and analysing data on solar panel performance
Throughout this lesson series students will collect and analyse data from solar panels installed in a school setting. The students will use mapping skills to locate a sequence of schools with related geographical positioning so that comparisons can be made about the solar panel performance across locations.
ACMNA079 ACMSP096 ACMMG084 ACMMG086 ACMMG090 ACMNA077 ACTDEK013 ACTDIK007 ACTDIK008 ACTDIP009 ACTDIP012 ACTDIP013
- Locating places and positions on a map.
- Looking at scale and direction.
- Collecting data on solar panel performance for a location sequence of schools.
- Analysing solar panel data to identify any relationships with location, weather and solar panel performance.
Evidence of Learning
Can the student:
- Locate towns on a map.
- Find the distance between towns by reading the map.
- Obtain data about solar panel performance for a school.
- Draw graphs representing temperature and solar generation for a day.
- Compare graphs to make inferences about the relationship between solar panel performance and temperature.
Example Learning Sequence
- Locate towns on a map and find distances between them.
- Obtain solar panel and weather data for selected schools.
- Draw graphs of solar energy generation and temperature.
- Analyse the data in the graphs for relationships between variables.
To access these resources, Become a Solar School.