Lesson 10 - 12
Making a difference - Greenhouse Challenge (Extension)
Throughout this lesson series, students will demonstrate their understanding of light and light energy by building a greenhouse. Students will construct their model greenhouse and take measurements to obtain data about the absorption of light energy from the sun.
ACSHE081 ACSHE083 ACSIS086 ACSIS087 ACSIS090 ACSIS091 ACSIS093 ACSIS218 ACSIS231 ACSSU078 ACSSU080
- Review their understanding of light and light energy.
- Understand the purpose and uses of greenhouses and how they harness heat and light energy.
- Measure the difference between the heat produce inside and outside a greenhouse they make.
- Evaluate their greenhouse and suggest improvements.
Evidence of Learning
Can the student:
- Explain what light and light energy are.
- Draw a labelled diagram of their greenhouse using rays.
- Make a greenhouse and measure the temperature inside and outside the bottle.
- Evaluate how well their greenhouse worked and suggest improvements they could make to their design.
Example Learning Sequence
- Review what they have learnt about light and light energy
- Investigate greenhouses and look at how they harness light and heat energy from the sun to help plants grow
- Make a greenhouse and take measurements
- Evaluate the effectiveness of their greenhouse and suggest improvements