Lesson 11 - 12
Analysing solar energy data (Mathematics)
Students will analyse solar energy data from their school then compare solar energy production across different regions. They will obtain first hand data and use graphical methods to identify trends that can be used to make predictions about future events.
ACMMG135 ACMMG137 ACMNA123 ACMNA124 ACMNA128 ACMSP147 ACMSP148
- Investigate the use of solar panels to generate electricity in their school.
- Use digital technologies to construct data representations.
- Explore how different representations can be used to show trends in data.
- Share ideas as to whether observations match predictions, and discussing possible reasons for predictions being incorrect.
- Refer to evidence when explaining the outcomes of an investigation.
Evidence of Learning
Can the student:
- Collect and graph real-time solar energy data from the solarschools website.
- Analyse the solar energy data to identify patterns between the energy output of the solar panels and the weather.
Example Learning Sequence
- Introduce the solarschools website and how to analyse solarschools data.
- Investigate energy output data from the solar panels at the school.
- Compare the energy output of the school with two other schools in different geographical locations and discuss reasons behind differences between the data sets.
To access these resources, Become a Solar School.