Lesson 2 - 4
Exploring alternative energy sources
Throughout this lesson series, students will be introduced to the concepts of energy and renewable and non-renewable energy sources. Students will create their own wind turbine to model how energy can be generated from renewable energy sources.
ACSIS107 ACSIS108 ACSIS110 ACSSU097 ACSHE098 ACSHE100 ACSIS103 ACSIS104
- Explore the concepts of alternative energy sources.
- Identify different renewable and non-renewable energy sources (i.e. wind, hydro, solar, nuclear, fossil fuel, geothermal, biomass).
- Explain how each energy source is used to generate energy.
- Identify any advantages and disadvantages in using renewable and non-renewable energy sources.
- Consider whether an energy source is sustainable.
- Consider how personal and community choices influence our use of sustainable sources of energy.
- Investigate how moving air and water can turn turbines to generate energy.
Evidence of Learning
Can the student:
- Identify the different forms of renewable and non-renewable energy sources.
- Explain how each source of energy is used to produce energy.
To access these resources, Become a Solar School.