Lesson 5 - 6
Explain solar energy transformation
Throughout this lesson series students will explore the solar cell as a means of transforming solar energy into electrical energy. This electrical energy will be further transformed into mechanical energy that will provide the energy source for a solar powered car. Students will be challenged to design and build the solar car to meet performance criteria.
ACSHE135 ACSIS139 ACSIS141 ACSIS145 ACSIS146 ACSIS147 ACSIS148 ACSSU155
- Investigate energy transformations as solar energy is converted into motion.
Evidence of Learning
Can the student:
- Identify the energy transfers and transformations occurring as a solar cell converts the sun’s energy into electricity and then in to movement of an electric motor.
Example Learning Sequence
- Introduce solar energy as a form of energy.
- Discuss solar energy as a form of kinetic energy.
- Introduce solar cells as an energy transformer (convertor).
- Provide solar cells, motors and meters for students to explore the factors that affect solar cell performance.
- Relate solar cell performance to available light energy.
To access these resources, Become a Solar School.