Lesson 7 - 10
Solar car challenge
Throughout this lesson series students will explore the solar cell as a means of transforming solar energy into electrical energy. This electrical energy will be further transformed into mechanical energy that will provide the energy source for a solar powered car. Students will be challenged to design and build the solar car to meet performance criteria.
ACSIS145 ACSIS146 ACSIS147 ACSIS148 ACSSU155 ACSHE135 ACSIS139 ACSIS141
- Design and construct a solar car to meet specific performance criteria.
Evidence of Learning
Can the student:
- Demonstrate the operation of a solar car that meets the performance criteria.
- Evaluate the performance and suggest ways to improve it performance.
Example Learning Sequence
- Consider the design criteria for the solar car: Performance, Re-cycled materials where possible, Low cost and use scientific principles of energy transfer and transformation.
- Explore commercial designs that meet some of the key criteria.
- Sketch designs based on key criteria and identify heat transfer methods.
- Construct a basic materials list and obtain materials.
- Commence construction and do basic tests.
- Design and perform test that gathers performance data.
- Analyse data and asses effectiveness.
- Make design changes where necessary and re-test.
- Challenge day performance.
- Evaluation report.
To access these resources, Become a Solar School.